Wednesday 12 March 2008

Smokey and the Bandit - A guilty pleasure

I like a classic film like the next man. I appreciate beautiful cinematography and I recognise heart wrenching Oscar worthy performances from leading ladies and gents.

But sometimes I like something a little lighter to keep me entertained whilst I sup a beer.

Fast cars, trucks, a basset hound and a midget? Hell yeah! Grab another cold one and turn up the sound!

I've loved this film since I was a kid. I think all guys my age do. The Bandit, portrayed by Burt Reynolds, simply defines cool. "Frog" is a good looking lass with a good sense of humour - at her best when swapping smart arse remarks with the bandit. The Snowman is a real good ol' boy - a cracking character... who has a fantastic dog to boot! As for Smokey, cracking character! Jackie Gleeson's interaction with his son is great. The "when i get home i'm gonna punch your momma..." sequence and dialogue is great!

Add to all of that midgets in cowboy hats, bar punch ups, high speed car chases complete with jumps and a truly winning formula for a movie/beer combo has been achieved.

Now ... flick up the subtitles (if you need to) and sing along!:

"Eastbound and down..."

Great stuff, high time for a re-watch.

No comments: