Tuesday 16 December 2008

Fantasy Baseball Dynasty League Rounds 3 & 4

Please see previous entry for first 2 rounds.

Round 1 - Ian Kinsler
Round 2 - Matt Holliday

Round 3

Usually I'm not big on taking Pitchers early as I like to stream pitching anyway to maximise K's and W's, whilst risking ERA and WHIP. I'm an active daily owner, so this style fits me well.

But this time I took Jake Peavy with my third round pick. He is a stud pitcher and I have no regrets in taking him. He has ace stuff and isn't considered an injury risk like so many other top pitchers.

Looking at mockdraftcentral.com draft analysis, Peavy has an Average Draft Position (ADP) of 43. This was the 40th pick in the draft so he wasn't much of a reach. Given that there is no way of knowing if the mock drafts have been based on a 1 year or Keeper/Dynasty league, and Peavy is a definite Keeper for years to come, I'm happy with this pick.

Round 4

Round 4 came along and I didn't have a plan on who to draft. 3rd Base and Shortstop positions were already looking thin, but I did not want to reach just to fill the position. Time to take the best player available again. Lance Berkman was my guy. My 1st Base spot was open and Lance had an ADP of 14. For a 45th pick, I could not pass him over. He is 33, so not ideal for a Dynasty League, but after consulting with a couple of friends - all of us believing he has 2 good years left, I considered him a great value pick. Decided not to dwell on it much longer and picked him.

Pretty simple couple of rounds. With my 3B and SS spot still empty,I am going to have to reach at some stage or really find a couple of sleepers. That's all part of the fun though.

So far I'm really happy with how it's going. I'm looking to compete this year whilst also building a solid foundation for the future, and I'm happy that my picks thus far are in line with this plan.

No comments: