Friday 19 December 2008

Fantasy Baseball Dynasty League Rounds 7 & 8

I selected two pitchers in rounds 7 & 8.

Round 7 - Zack Greinke

Round 8 - A.J. Burnett

Greinke was taken as a reaction to taking Oswalt in the previous round. He's an excellent pitcher, his stats from last year speak for themselves but he is on a woefully poor offensive team. He's relatively young and I see him as someone who can contribute next year, but be even better over the years. I have two steady aces in Peavy and Oswalt and decided it was time to go a bit younger, and certainly more risky. This pick would not have been made had this not been a Dynasty League. I'm still unsure if I could/should have waited longer. Time for him to go out and prove me a fantasy genius then! Greinke for Cy Young in '09! Heh, fantasy indeed.

A.J. I'll start by saying at this point in the draft, there were already 28 SP's that had been drafted, and A.J. was still there. This pick was another classic example of me seeing value and not being able to pass on it, regardless of my teams needs. In 8 picks I have 4 SP's - not how I envisioned my draft to go, and nothing like how my previous drafts have gone. I know A.J.'s limitations, but I have also seen his strengths. In my keeper league, I traded for him late in the season (Burnett and Wood for Chamberlain, a trade I love to this day as I needed CL too and was in contention) and he was excellent. I couldn't bring myself to leave him on the board.

An uncertain round of picks describes these two, I think. Certainly not terrible. The key to this draft for me is now to fill in the holes left by having taken 4, albeit quality, SP's in the first 8 rounds.

No comments: