Thursday 18 December 2008

Fantasy Baseball Dynasty League Rounds 5 & 6

Round 5

The draft continues. Good day yesterday - got 4 picks in.

The first one was interesting. Although I had my 1B filled with a quality player, it was only a temporary measure in Dynasty terms. Lance Berkman won't be around forever. Was there anyone out there I could pick up who could produce in my Utility spot this year and be my first baseman of the future? There was one I liked, though it was a bit of a reach at this time. Should I or shouldn't I? He had a decent rookie year, highly touted to improve this year and plays in a hitters ball park. There was some platooning at the start of the 2008 season, but he should be a regular player this year. It's tempting...

I'm doing it.

Joey Votto - welcome to the Bluenecks.


Round 6

Took a bit of a flyer with the last pick, so it's time to take a real solid pick this time around. After 5 rounds, I only have one SP. That's pretty normal for me in the few drafts I have done, so I'm not too concerned. If there is a real solid ace out there still, one who may have slipped through the cracks with everone going young, then I may look to pitching. The SS and 3B options are so thin now, that I don't think there is much difference in a player that I could get now or in a good few rounds time. As long as they are filled before people start stashing away talent on their benches, I should be okay. So, I begin scouring my SP list.

Roy Oswalt is available, the ace of the Houston staff. He's no spring chicken, but he contributed 17 wins to the Astro's organisation last year. His strike outs aren't spectacular with 165 for the year, but I am impressed with his 4.0 K/BB record - that's 4 strikeouts for every walk given up. With 68.8% of his Starts deemed Quality, I'm thinking that he and Peavy at the top of my Pitching roster puts me in a strong position.

I reach for the laptop and make my pick.

Round 6 in the bag, looking good so far.

No comments: